Wednesday, January 14, 2009

. . . _ _ _ . . .

I finished Passage by Connie Willis today. She is one of my favorite authors. Passage is about dying, and I cried during the last part of the book, but I couldn't put it down. Even when I was falling asleep, I could barely put it down, I was so engrossed in the story. I had to know what had happened, and I had to finish it, like it was some sort of mission I had. It was a long book to have read in only three days. Someday I will reread it, I am sure.

What is my message? What do I need the world to know? What is my SOS? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. What was Dylan's SOS? I don't know that either. Did he have a near-death experience before he died? Was he on the Titanic, or was he in Arizona? Was he in India? Taiwan? Did he see his high school English professor? Did he use Morse code?

Good research asks more questions than it answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment